By treating everyone as a potential athlete, (i.e., a person who spends part of their leisure or work time in a physical activity), we at NISMAT believe that the arena of sports medicine is vast. Consequently, sports medicine research calls on all areas of medicine as they interact with physical activity.
For example, a dialysis patient who exercises needs the expertise of a nephrologist who knows about the demands of different types of sports. From the interaction of the exercise physiologist and the nephrologist we can realize the best research questions and designs.
Our belief in the multi-disciplinary nature of sports medicine has dictated that we pursue research in many areas of medicine as they apply to sports and physical activity. Our Institute allows for the interaction of pediatricians, orthopedists, cardiologists, nutritionists, nephrologists, physiologists, physical therapists, and engineers. These interactions have led to numerous publications in diverse journals such as:
- Journal of the American Medical Association
- American Journal of Cardiology
- The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery
- Clinical Nephrology
- The American Journal of Sports Medicine
- Journal of the American College of Nutrition
- Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation
- Journal of the Orthopedic Research Society
- Clinics in Sports Medicine
- The American Heart Journal
- Journal of Applied Physiology
- Journal of Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy
Additionally, we present our research at professional society meetings in all of these areas.
It is this diversity and comprehensive approach that distinguishes NISMAT research from other sports medicine facilities.